If you’re looking for physical therapy in Prairieville, it helps to have a little guidance. You want a physical therapy team working alongside your doctors and healthcare providers. You want someone caring in a location that’s convenient. Here are some things to consider when looking for a physical therapist.
Friendly Neighborhood Physical Therapy
It’s common knowledge that in south Louisiana we have a different way of life than the rest of the country. That might lend itself to different injuries as well. Sprained a finger peeling crabs? Threw out your shoulder cheering for the Tigers? Twisted your ankle in the duck blind? Joking aside, we know how uneasy it feels when you’ve hurt yourself. You can feel limited and not yourself. Physical therapy ensures you’re healing properly. Take steps to get you back to feeling yourself as soon as possible. If you live in Prairieville, you’re in luck! Peak Performance Physical Therapy’s Geismar/Dutchtown location is just around the corner.
In Prairieville And Beyond
In Ascension Parish, Peak is near Dutchtown High School off Highway 73 and convenient to I-10. It’s one of three Peak locations offering aquatic therapy in a specially equipped pool. But maybe the most convenient location for you isn’t even in Prairieville! Some patients prefer appointments during the workday. If you work in Baton Rouge, we have locations in Mid-City, Industriplex, Monterrey, and on Perkins Road. There’s even one in Brusly/Port Allen. Whatever works out best for your schedule and needs. (Be sure to take all that traffic into account!)
Depending on your injury and needs, therapists employ different techniques and strategies. The below services—also known as treatment modalities—are used to get patients back on their feet.
- Electrical Stimulation/Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES) emits a current to contract muscles to help strengthen and promote blood flow.
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS) decreases pain by sending electrostimulating signals. It’s especially helpful for low back pain and arthritis.
- Ultrasound emits vibrating sound waves to draw blood and nutrients to injured areas. It promotes relaxation and can speed up the healing process.
- Phonophoresis combines the application of anti-inflammatory steroid or pain relieving cream with ultrasound. The heat from the ultrasound waves helps the medicine penetrate tissues.
- Iontophoresis is similar to phonophoresis but uses electrical charges instead of sound waves. Compared to injections, it’s considered a safer, painless way to deliver medication.
- Mechanical Traction is also known as spinal traction. It stretches and mobilizes the spine to alleviate pain and increase function.
- Extremity Whirlpool is a warm water bath. It can increase blood flow and relaxation while decreasing pain.
- AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill decreases the impact of walking or running while you’re healing. Patients benefit and often say it’s even fun!
- ASTYM addresses problems in the soft tissues to stimulate healing. Used often for scarring, fibrosis, and degeneration.